The Links
“The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention...A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words.” - Rachel Naomi Remen
Remember the game we played as kids called Telephone? I would tell you something, you would tell the person next to you and so on until it came back to you. The purpose of the game was the see if you got the same thing back that you originally said to the person next to you. 99% of the time, it was different, and I now know why. It’s called chains of meanings.
The phrase “chains of meanings” refers to the individual meaning/interpretation we give to words. It reminds me of a PBS special I saw on how we process words and input differently. They actually had EEGs hooked up to people to show the difference in the processes going on in the brain. It validates the phrase I use often: “what I said and what you heard can be totally different.”
Chains of meanings all comes down to interpretation. One article I read says there are at least three chains of meanings for any given word.
Chain One - is associated with your personal feelings as they are dictated by your recollection of events in life.
“The most basic and powerful way to connect to another person is to listen. Just listen. Perhaps the most important thing we ever give each other is our attention...A loving silence often has far more power to heal and to connect than the most well-intentioned words.” - Rachel Naomi Remen
Remember the game we played as kids called Telephone? I would tell you something, you would tell the person next to you and so on until it came back to you. The purpose of the game was the see if you got the same thing back that you originally said to the person next to you. 99% of the time, it was different, and I now know why. It’s called chains of meanings.
The phrase “chains of meanings” refers to the individual meaning/interpretation we give to words. It reminds me of a PBS special I saw on how we process words and input differently. They actually had EEGs hooked up to people to show the difference in the processes going on in the brain. It validates the phrase I use often: “what I said and what you heard can be totally different.”
Chains of meanings all comes down to interpretation. One article I read says there are at least three chains of meanings for any given word.
Chain One - is associated with your personal feelings as they are dictated by your recollection of events in life.
Chain Two – is associated to feelings you have genetically inherited.
Chain Three – is associated with your unconscious memories. Lots of these come out in dream form.
It just validates that we all think differently. The amount of emotion given to a word greatly impacts our thought process and decision making. No you can see why I focus so much on high and low energy words and their associated power. We all function a little differently in processing, but we can become better at it and more efficient by remembering the power (emotionally) we assign or give to our words. At this very moment while I'm typing, I thought of the word car. Three distinct things came to mind.
One - A wreck the family was in when I was a child where our new car was totaled by a drunk driver on Airport Blvd by Hobby Airport. My Dad actually saw the car coming and pulled off in the ditch and the drunk still hit us and destroyed the car and we were sitting still. That would have been sometime in 1966 I think.
Two - The next thing I recall is my first car which was a white 1966 Mustang that my parents bought for me for $600.
Three - The third thing I recall is the idea of buying a new 2010 model truck as my 50th birthday present to me.
Now that I know about chains of meanings, I have another tool in my communication toolbox to help me become a better communicator.
Action Item – Take a moment to play the “what I said and what you heard” game. It’s a great way to get you to think about the words you are using. Talk about the chains of meanings generated during the conversation.
POSITIVE HEADLINE NEWS
The Next Step
Sue had a great idea last night regarding the new blog site. Since I promote the books and resources that have helped me along the way, she suggested I should get paid for it. She sent me the info to join the Amazon Affiliates Program. In short, any traffic driven to Amazon from the blog site that results in sales will generate a commission payment. I’ve set up the account, and the payments will be made in the form of Amazon Gift Cards. Assuming commissions are generated, I plan to donate these gift cards to different charities. As I get the cards, I will send out announcements as part of the TOD soliciting for charities to help.
Over the next week or so, you will see some Amazon logos on the blog. To make this successful and to help our charities, we need to promote traffic to the blog site. Additionally, if you purchase from Amazon, please do it through the blog site.
I just see this as the next step for my words and our positive energy and collective right minded thinking to make a little difference in the world.
Now that I know about chains of meanings, I have another tool in my communication toolbox to help me become a better communicator.
Action Item – Take a moment to play the “what I said and what you heard” game. It’s a great way to get you to think about the words you are using. Talk about the chains of meanings generated during the conversation.
POSITIVE HEADLINE NEWS
The Next Step
Sue had a great idea last night regarding the new blog site. Since I promote the books and resources that have helped me along the way, she suggested I should get paid for it. She sent me the info to join the Amazon Affiliates Program. In short, any traffic driven to Amazon from the blog site that results in sales will generate a commission payment. I’ve set up the account, and the payments will be made in the form of Amazon Gift Cards. Assuming commissions are generated, I plan to donate these gift cards to different charities. As I get the cards, I will send out announcements as part of the TOD soliciting for charities to help.
Over the next week or so, you will see some Amazon logos on the blog. To make this successful and to help our charities, we need to promote traffic to the blog site. Additionally, if you purchase from Amazon, please do it through the blog site.
I just see this as the next step for my words and our positive energy and collective right minded thinking to make a little difference in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment