It’s So Dang Important
“It doesn’t matter how you got here. What matters is how you move forward.” – Rodney Williams
I talk often about the importance of feedback. In my opinion, it is the most important part of the four parts of communication dialog: sender, receiver, message, and feedback. For me, feedback validates. That’s why I ask for it often.
I read an article on one of the more traditional communication tools called the “feedback sandwich”. You know the one – Praise – Criticism – Praise. You normally see it a lot on performance evaluations at the job. I recall being taught the process, even though they did not use the term, when going through various management courses in past lives. Your boss butters you up, then drops the BUT word in and clips you with some criticism, then tries to butter you up again with praise. The challenge with the feedback sandwich is that most do not know how to balance out the praise and criticism.
Have you thought about the times when you were having a conversation where someone was praising you then you chimed in BUUUUUUUT as you could feel what was coming? My observation is when the criticism is coming, the “senders” body language and tone changes as they are setting it up. You as the receiver would then take a defensive posture by doing the traditional lean back in the chair and cross the arms as your ego is kicking in. At that point, the communications dialog has the potential to break down. I’m sure the feedback sandwich has its place, and I like to believe people get better at it as they become better communicators.
For me, the process of criticism works better when someone also adds in some helpful advice and suggestions on improvement. In fact, I believe that giving advice and suggestions for improvement are far more effective than any type of criticism. It still is all about the delivery though. When someone is being sincere and honest with me about improvement areas, it comes across in their delivery. That is something I can get my hands around as someone is pointing out growth opportunities area and offering some positive suggestions on how to improve said area. They are giving me “feedback”.
So from the kitchens of Rod’s Cooking Show, I submit the new and improved Feedback Sandwich Recipe: Praise – Double Helping of Improvement Suggestions – A Splash of Advice and a Final Heaping of Praise.
You will be surprised how much more “well received” the criticism is when the receiver knows you are working with and trying to help rather than judge. Give it a shot. Spice up that feedback sandwich.
Action Item – Be a feedback machine. It only helps your communication skills get better and better.
POSITIVE HEADLINE NEWS
Gettin Smarter
“It doesn’t matter how you got here. What matters is how you move forward.” – Rodney Williams
I talk often about the importance of feedback. In my opinion, it is the most important part of the four parts of communication dialog: sender, receiver, message, and feedback. For me, feedback validates. That’s why I ask for it often.
I read an article on one of the more traditional communication tools called the “feedback sandwich”. You know the one – Praise – Criticism – Praise. You normally see it a lot on performance evaluations at the job. I recall being taught the process, even though they did not use the term, when going through various management courses in past lives. Your boss butters you up, then drops the BUT word in and clips you with some criticism, then tries to butter you up again with praise. The challenge with the feedback sandwich is that most do not know how to balance out the praise and criticism.
Have you thought about the times when you were having a conversation where someone was praising you then you chimed in BUUUUUUUT as you could feel what was coming? My observation is when the criticism is coming, the “senders” body language and tone changes as they are setting it up. You as the receiver would then take a defensive posture by doing the traditional lean back in the chair and cross the arms as your ego is kicking in. At that point, the communications dialog has the potential to break down. I’m sure the feedback sandwich has its place, and I like to believe people get better at it as they become better communicators.
For me, the process of criticism works better when someone also adds in some helpful advice and suggestions on improvement. In fact, I believe that giving advice and suggestions for improvement are far more effective than any type of criticism. It still is all about the delivery though. When someone is being sincere and honest with me about improvement areas, it comes across in their delivery. That is something I can get my hands around as someone is pointing out growth opportunities area and offering some positive suggestions on how to improve said area. They are giving me “feedback”.
So from the kitchens of Rod’s Cooking Show, I submit the new and improved Feedback Sandwich Recipe: Praise – Double Helping of Improvement Suggestions – A Splash of Advice and a Final Heaping of Praise.
You will be surprised how much more “well received” the criticism is when the receiver knows you are working with and trying to help rather than judge. Give it a shot. Spice up that feedback sandwich.
Action Item – Be a feedback machine. It only helps your communication skills get better and better.
POSITIVE HEADLINE NEWS
Gettin Smarter
Kelly has been working on her PhD for a while. She just got the grades back yesterday on her individual project. She was perfect with a score of 25 out of 25. Congrats girl. If you get any smarter, we’re gonna have to get you a new cowboy hat for that big brain.
No comments:
Post a Comment