Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Thought of the Day - 7/22/09

"I Don’t Want Want To : Insert Subject"

“Right actions in the future are the best apologies for bad actions in the past.”
- Tryon Edwards

I kinda laugh when I hear the nieces and nephews complain about not wanting to do something. My response is always: well ya don’t have to do it. That still makes them scratch their head a little. If you don’t do your chores, you don’t get an allowance. If you don’t take a shower, you stink and no one wants to be around you. If you don’t clean your room, you don’t get to play video games. The reason I respond that way is an attempt to teach them that for every action, there is a reaction. I am trying to help them learn to be accountable.

One hopes that through age and life experiences, we learn about and get smarter about our actions and reactions. I know I don’t have to go to work, but as a contractor, I don’t get paid if I don’t go. The action – don’t go to work. The reaction – don’t get paid. If I don’t get paid, that means less money which means changing my budget. There are some mornings I want to lay in bed another 15 minutes and sometimes do. I just know the reaction to that action means staying a little later at work which gets me to the gym a little later in the day, etc. There are a string of events that occur from that one action/choice we make. But the reality is that it is still my choice and I am accountable.

These choices are part of the 60,000 thoughts a day that we have and process. We don’t have to do anything as long as we understand there will be a reaction to the action. If the “reactions” to your “actions” are not working out for you, may wanna rethink your actions.

Action Item – Help people with the concept of accountability by using the action/reaction discussion. Use the “you don’t have to” response the next time someone uses the “I don’t want to” phrase then work them through the reaction to the action process. It’s actually fun to see the light coming on.

POSITIVE HEADLINE NEWS

Happy B-Day
Happy Birthday to Carol M.

Good News
According to the Houston Business Journal, the median price of homes in Houston went up 2.8% over June 2008. Sales might be down but pricing is staying in a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Occupancy Limit

Occupancy limit signs are all over the place: bars, restaurants, cruise ships, buses, etc.    The signs convey the number of people who ca...